Curly Seckler Suffering from Stroke

Image635067187192639784Prescription Bluegrass has learned that Bluegrass legend Curly Seckler, 93, is recovering at home after suffering a mini stroke on May 19.

According to a spokesperson, Seckler suffered some loss of his ability to speak, but fortunately did not experience any paralysis. He was transported to the hospital and underwent multiple tests, but was not admitted. He is working with a speech therapist and is making progress in his recovery.

Anyone wishing to send get well wishes may do so to: curly@curlyseckler.net. Please keep Curly in your thoughts and prayers.

Bluegrass legend Curly Seckler began his career in music in 1935, performing with his brothers in a band called the Yodeling Rangers, on WSTP radio in Salisbury, NC.  In1939 he hit the big time, when Charlie Monroe recruited him to sing harmony in his new group after the breakup of the Monroe Brothers.  Image635067191775451906Curly worked several stints with Charlie Monroe early in his career.  He also teamed with various other bluegrass pioneers, including Jim and Jesse McReynolds, Mac Wiseman, The Sauceman Brothers, and The Stanley Brothers.

In 1949 Curly joined Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs’ Foggy Mountain Boys, as tenor singer and mandolin player.  Except for a couple of brief absences, he remained with Flatt & Scruggs until 1962.  During that time he recorded well over 100 songs with them, including many of their best known and most popular hits (“Roll in My Sweet Baby’s Arms,” “Salty Dog Blues,” “I’ll Go Stepping Too,” “Dim Lights, Thick Smoke,” etc.).  Several of Curly’s original songs were recorded by Flatt & Scruggs, including “No Mother Or Dad” and “That Old Book of Mine.” 

The Lester Flatt/Curly Seckler duets from the 1950s are still considered to be among the best bluegrass performances ever.  In addition, Curly’s rock-solid “chop” rhythm on mandolin was the foundation of the Foggy Mountain Boys’ instrumental sound during his tenure.

Curly left the music business briefly during the 1960s, but soon returned to performing when bluegrass festivals began to thrive.  He joined Lester Flatt’s Nashville Grass in 1973 and remained until Lester’s death in 1979.  Lester passed the torch to Curly, and he took over leadership of the Nashville Grass for another fifteen years, until his retirement in 1994.

No comments: